View Single Post
Old May 18th, 2005
A reader, not an expert

stief has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the info Dave. I'll give the strawman argument more careful thought. I still can't decide the line between "More" security and False" security
Quote:
Originally posted by uBannedMe?!?
Does anyone have a good reason why I shouldn't be able to disable this feature for MY node, _regardless_ of whether YOU YOURSELF would want it disabled on your node?
Well, that's like the "forced share" argument. It's upfront in Bittorrent, so that's OK. Of course you should not HAVE to share in gnutella---that's been a given for gnutella. Instead, leeches pay at least a social price. I agree that you have the right (and power) to make BH optional.

But, if BH was to be optional, I would like to see some reciprocal option: I want the option to only connect and upload to hosts that allow BH.

Sound fair?

(and best wishes with whatever you are coding to help make LW more secure, stable and responsive. I've been quite eager to see what you have and will come up with. If I'm not mistaken, your work in the past has greatly helped the security and growth of the network)

cheers