View Single Post
Old May 26th, 2005
Gnutella Admirer

Linuxhippy is flying high
Default Hmmm

Hmm, seems like a professional ;-)

Quote:
Originally posted by verdyp
[B]Sun has already announced that it will fully support 64-bit processors very rapidly, as well as dual-cores.
Sun already supports 64-bit CPUs and Limewire works about 10-15% faster on those boxes but also needs 20% more memory.
Dualcores are supported since Java-1.0 since each thread has it won interpreter and a dual-core is nothing more to LW/Java than a second processor.

Quote:
The issues are not in Limewire, but in the OS kernels, and in the compiler supports for the new OSes,
Hmm? gcc supports amd64 since 3.3 or 3.4 I think so no problem since a long time.

Quote:
and more importantly in the support of security within OS and applications.
The support of security in applications? You speak about the nx-bit?
Well this is something a normal program does not need to care at all, except it uses self-modifying assembler which should not be the case for LW and only very limited for java.

Quote:
This requires collaboration between OS vendors (Microsoft, Sun, IBM, RedHat, ...), CPU manufacturers (Intel, AMD, IBM) for updates in the kernel drivers and compiler optimizers, and Java VM vendors (mostly Sun, BEA, Oracle and BEA).

So Limewire will run mostly without change on future 64-bit Java platforms. For now, there's simply no stable platform to deploy it.
I am using LW on my Linux-2.6/amd64 box and it works as stable as using it with 32 bit.

Quote:
There are products already available now, but they are only for tests, and they badly interroperate for now.
Would you call +15% performance a bad interoperability==

Quote:
Limewire should only depend on Java VM support for 64-bit architectures. Until then, Java 1.5 already uses the 64-bit wide registers for internal operations that benefit from them (notably long integers, and Java2D), but the core program is still using 32-bit pointers.
Hmm, java-1.5 for amd64 USES 64-bit pointers otherwise it could not support more than 4GB of RAM. And it does, we've Tomcat running on a 12GB-Ram machine, and tomcat works with an 8gb heap!
However 64-bit pointers are even a drawback of 64-bit processors since they need more memory and have no other advantages (why should copying 64bit from the ram-> processor be faster than copying 32bit?)

Quote:
I'm not sure that upgrading to 64-bit will be significantly faster (for now the native 64-bit mode is in fact... slower than 32-bit emulation mode with WoW).
Where have you heard this nonsence?
64-bit mode is almost every time faster (except for some special cases)!

You completly missed the main-fact why 64-bit mode is a lot faster: more registers. A normal x86 cpu has to live with 8 registers (!!!) whereas 64-bit has 16. This means only 1/2 as much register renaming

Quote:
It seems that the dual-core architectures (including HyperThreading) will be more useful immediately.
Hyperthreading is broken by design (TM). Don't you know what hyperthreading is?

I would suggest to study computer science or something like that before telling everybody how great and experienced you are.

lg Clemens

Last edited by Linuxhippy; May 26th, 2005 at 02:45 AM.