View Single Post
Old October 21st, 2001
Gnutella Veteran

SRL is flying high

The main reason for this is I'm finding it harder and harder to find things these days. Looking for large files is a particular problem as I often need to do a restart and many aren't well distributed (only one or two nodes sharing them).

Gnucleus gives up doing a re-search and goes into the "unable to connect" state in under 20 seconds! Often the same results take minutes to apear in a search window. I really wish Gnucleus kept trying the new connection until it found something like an open search window does.

Also while I know it increases traffic, I wish it would retry existing nodes say every 15 to 20 minutes until it gets at least one result. In that time the landscape can really change, and I don't think that would create too much extra load (especially as I have to do it manually anyway).

I've also noticed some nodes are returning very few search results (often less than 1% of total packets), and after time sometime I migrate towards pocket corners of the gnet rather than towards the center. That's what made me think some sort of traffic based preferencing might help.