View Single Post
Old October 21st, 2001
Apprentice

C=64 is flying high

Umm... huh? Whether or not I understand the GPL is irrelevant (and from your less then intelligible comments, I'm going to assume that I understand it a tad bit better then you - unless, of course English isn't your native tongue, in which case something appears to have been lost in the translation). It doesn't change the fact that if this is GPLed, I wouldn't be able to contribute. As I would like to contribute, I made the request that a non-GPL license be used if the project is considering become opened.

I have worked for a couple companies that have had similar policies, and so I'm doubting I'm the only one in this position. Whether I agree with my company's position or not, I've agreed to work for them, rendering it my responsibility to abiding by their edicts.

I did not see my request as trolling. I can see how my personal statement tacked on to the end (i.e. "Sigh... I hate viral licenses") as being a point of contention for you. I'm sorry that it offended you as deeply as it apparently has - that wasn't the intent. I would edit it out, but that wouldn't be fair to your posts. So, to all others reading that line of my sentence, please ignore it, and instead take the request at face value.

[rant]
In addition, if that comment mentioned above offends you, please skip to the end of this rant, which is posted as a defense of my position. This is not the proper forum to argue these issues, and if need be, we can arrange a separate venue for future correspondence.

Back to my understanding of the GPL. I know that, due to it's viral nature, I risk tainting projects when I observe GPLed code in that I may inadvertently repeat code I've observed. I wish to work on projects that aren't GPLed. Ergo, I cannot look at GPLed code. I'm at quite a loss to understand your comments. For example, where the heck did the "sueing" statement come form?

I also find it highly ironic that the "MS Borg" image is being used - the GPL is the true Borg of the license world, since the license is designed to consume other licenses, and zealous "defenders" of the license make it their duty to attack those licenses that it cannot consume until it can be (QT, for example). Please, take the time to actually read and study the license and it's implications before blindly defending it and pushing it on to others. As for myself, give me the BSD license any day.
[/rant]