Thread: Little bug
View Single Post
Old October 22nd, 2001
Panthera Onca

The Seeker is flying high
Default Ummm...

Hmm... it's not some little thing not worth mentioning. It's actually quite serious. Thanks to you, I can now reproduce, at will, the 'doubled settings in the registry' bug. (Both shared directories and extensions are doubled)

I thought it had to do with XoloX hiding the preferences window upon closing instead of killing it (Or, conversly, creating a new preferences window instead of showing the old one), but it's really that it re-reads the registry data and appends it to the lists instead of overwriting the lists or not reading the registry if it detects that the preferences window is already open. (Clicking on preferences in the menu, while it's already open, just brings it to the front instead of creating a new window.)

OK, so, for the bug:

1) Click preferences in the menu.

2a) Drag the preferences window so when you click on the main form you can still see it.
AND/OR
2b) Click on the main form.

3a) Click on the preferences window.
AND/OR
3b) Click on preferences in the menu again.

4) Click Apply

You do not even have to look at the directory settings tab for it to take effect. If you do this a lot, you will get errors that it did not set the registry keys for sharedextension and probably shareddirs too (though I never did it enough to overflow the key length there) In older versions, the repeated registry keys would have added threads, but now I think it just adds CPU overhead because it searches directories multiple times and looks for the same extenions over and over.

Cleanup is a pain if you don't want to delete the whole XoloX key and start over.