View Single Post
Old June 1st, 2005
Gnutella Jewel

mstfyd is flying high
Default Re: Bad files from T3 Hosts

Quote:
Originally posted by angloshot
Quite often, when searching for a file, a host of bad files will show up, mainly from T3 hosts. They tend to have the same file name as the file you are looking for, but the wrong content, i.e. that annoying iPod photo.

As far as I know there is no solution as yet, so i suggest a series of tick boxes in the 'More Search Options' area, allowing you to choose which speeds to allow in your search.

Your comments on this problem/solution would be much appreciated.
The fake free ipod! I had that

I saw this post and hadn't noticed speed before. However I had used the "browse host" function for someone (69.113.125.235.6346), who (so thoughtfully) included W32.Alcra.A . From the symantec site: this is a worm that spreads through file-sharing networks, such as Kazaa, Ares, eMule, Morpheus, Grokster, Bearshare, Limewire eDonkey2000, Gnucleus, Shareaza, and Rapigator. The worm also drops a W32.Spybot.Worm variant into the compromised computer.The dropped W32.Spybot.Worm variant opens a back door that allows a remote attacker to have unauthorized access to the compromised computer.

It was caught in by norton, before damage was done, but its the thought that counts.

I had screen captured the "browse" results, and noticed that yes, the speed was listed as "T3 or higher" It seems to be a pattern?

But, as far as adding another tick box to be able to screen out T3; couldn't you just do that by looking at the "Speed" column, & refuse to choose any which listed T3?