View Single Post
Old June 5th, 2005
Gnutella Jewel

midnight_blue is flying high

Quote:
Originally posted by stief
Hi Robbie

If a user last connected to you when you were an ultrapeer, then shut down for a week or so, they would attempt to connect to you when they started up again.

You might even see someone attempt to connect months later, if that was the last time they ran LW.

Failed connection attempts remove invalid IP's (or they are supposed to with decent clients), which would explain why you don't see repetitive connection attempts from the same IP.
so when a user starts up limewire, does the system attempt to connect that person to the IP addresses which are in the gnutella.net file (in C:\documents and settings\(username)\limewire\gnutella.net)? That would make sense. But what about where the person never has been an ultrapeer, as stevebcali has just posted? I did notice these connection attempts after beginning to use limewire and well before I was ever an ultrapeer. I can understand how being an UP will lead to failed connection attempts being logged by Zone Alarm if I'm not connected to limewire, but not how this could happen in cases where someone is not, and has never been, an UP.

I think deep down, I still have some unresolved worries about how secure my computer is while using P2P. Zone alarm, and anti-virus, anti-spyware software can only provide so much protection if someone uses a programme that potentially compromises computer security in the first place...