View Single Post
Old June 7th, 2005
Stromnad

Exclamation Security Vulnerability in Limewire

hi.

i was (unfortunately) using an old version of limewire - with the security vulnerability. As I was searching, without any prompting from me, two files opened on my computer. both were named "passwords". one was a text file, one was an Excel Spreadsheet (which opened even though it had a password enabled on it). I have read up on the security problems with the older versions of limewire. here is what I would like to know:

1. how can i find out what files were copied/looked at?
2. why did they open on my screen? it seems that it would make more sense that if someone wanted to steal my files they would just copy them, and not make me aware that there was a problem.
2A. can i assume that the files that were opened, were the only files that were viewed?
3. I reset my computer, closed the internet connection and deleted limewire immidiately. am i still at risk?
4. One of the files contained my wireless network password (128 WEP Password). Should I be worried about this?
5. Any other general suggestions (i don't store passwords on my computer anymore, and i changed all of my passwords contained in the files)?

thanks in advance for your help.

j.