View Single Post
Old June 9th, 2005
Valued Member

ukbobboy01 will become famous soon enough
Default IP Addresses & Internet Service Providers (ISP)

Nervously sharing

You have asked some serious questions, one of them will require a legal expert to answer, I will try to answer your questions based on my own experience.

IP Address

Whenever you go onto the internet your Internet Service Provider (ISP) supplies you with an IP address, which is unique to your PC at the time. Your ISP also logs the time, date, duration, usage, etc. your PC has that IP address for.

To use the internet you need an IP address so that the screens you request, the downloads you action, etc. can find you, just like the post office needs your house address so that your letters, bills, parcels, etc. can get to you.

Although there are some software that claim to be able to hide your IP address these tend to be smoke and mirrors, you cannot hide or disguise your IP address no matter what you do, that is simply the way the internet works.

Are ISPs Reporting People?

No, the music industry hire various companies to watch the internet and, in particular, P2P networks (as well as planting fake music files). When they believe they have enough evidence that a particular IP or ISP is illegally uploading/sharing music files they will get a court order compelling the ISP to hand over the name and address of the alleged offender, which is usually the person that has signed up with the ISP.

Family Computer

If you live in the UK you would have probably seen a mother being interviewed by the BBC that was recently fined £2,500.00 for illegally sharing music files. But, unfortunately for her, it was her son (I didn’t get his age but I gather he is going to university) who was working on his PC in his bedroom. The mother had no idea what was going on but the law and the music industry held her responsible anyway.

I also understand that people in the US have been caught out in the same manner.

Human Rights

You will need a lawyer for this one but, as I mentioned above, the music industry obtain a court order before going after an individual, which then makes it legal and above board.

Hope this helps.

UK Bob