View Single Post
Old June 10th, 2005
Apprentice

Nervously sharing is flying high
Unhappy

Hi again! yes, Mr AB for shame! you are quite right, this is a community program, but you have to remember that it's use is primarily the sharing of copyrighted material... I personally keep a small number of files in my share folder and move them out in batches when they get to about 25, dropping them to about 10 and then download some more.

I am led to believe that the music industry is targeting people with large numbers of share files, eg, over 800! so for most people this is not going to be a problem and they can continue to share, until or unless the industry decides to ramp up the action and pursue people with ever smaller numbers of files over time.

These guys are businessmen pure and simple, and if they want to take everyone to court, then they can! But it does make you wonder WHY they dont just reduce the high prices of CD's (particularly in the UK) so that many more people will just buy the damn things.

There is another point - when you buy an artist's CD, unless it is a classic, or a compilation, then it is going to contain tracks that you don't like, or want in many cases. If you pay £10 ($18) for one single CD album, and then find that out of nine tracks, you only like seven of them, that makes the CD cost 20% more, if you think about it!

Finally, my previous posting on the subject in this thread was answering the original question of legality, and then I went on to explain how to maintain legality for the more paranoid among us. I hope this won't deter many people from sharing, but I suppose those who are nervous already, are unlikely to be the kind of people who had much in their share folders anyway.

Ross - apologetically