View Single Post
Old June 12th, 2005
longjump

Default just curious - uploads never exceed 2%

Haven't found a satisfactory answer to this, though David91 had good input in his post "Don't worry about the tone thing"

Uploads *never* exceed 1 or 2 percent, according to my Monitor window. It's no skin off my nose; I'm not a philanthropist or anything. Also I understand many reasons why uploads don't reach 100 percent. But I do observe some things that make me go "huh?":

1. Almost all my uploads appear as a duplicated pair in my Monitor window.
2. Uploads progress in fits and starts, e/ period of apparently active data flow never lasting more than maybe half a minute.
3. When uploads that have stalled at 1 or 2 percent resume, the completion percentage goes back to 0 or 1 percent upon resumption.
4. Many inactive uploads say "Complete" at 1 or 2 percent, but then resume uploading anyway.
5. If my active window is not the Monitor window and I see by my internet connection software that a lot of data is flowing outward, and I switch to the Monitor window to observe the uploading, I can see all active uploads suddenly stopping, like cockroaches scurrying for cover when you turn on the light. Sometimes they resume if I keep the Monitor window active.
6. Many if not most uploads from me are of relatively obscure song files, so it's hard to believe that *absolutely all of them* could be 1 or 2 percent contributions to transfers from other folks.

-Platform: Mac
-Connection: modem
-Quality: always either Excellent or TurboCharged
-Upload bandwidth: 100% (tried 10% too)
-Slots: tried various settings, no difference observed
-No firewall, no LAN, no school, no nothing.