View Single Post
Old June 21st, 2005
ContraBanned

Lord of the Rings has a distinguished reputationLord of the Rings has a distinguished reputationLord of the Rings has a distinguished reputation
Default Please Report This & future viruses

Kmag sent an email to Kaspersky Labs antivirus yesterday about this virus and got an email back from one of their virus analysts. However, he hasen't been infected and so he wasn't able to provide them with a sample of the virus.

If you'd be so kind as to help prevent others from getting this virus, please make a password-protected zip (or rar) file containing any viral files you are about to delete. The password should be "infected" and it should be mailed to NewVirus@kaspersky.com, with a subject of KLAB-571146.

It's my understanding that the major anti-virus labs have informal agreements about sharing new viruses with eachother.

If you're extra motivated to help stop this virus, there's also a web submission form at http://subwiz.trendmicro.com/SubWiz/...sp?opgWizard=7 . Presumably TrendMicro wants the winupdates file instead of the password protected zip file.

Unfortunately, it looks like Symantec/Norton Anti-Virus requires you to use Norton Anti-Virus to send in samples instead of using plain old email. If you have Norton Anti-virus, please by all means use Norton Anti-virus to send Symantec/Norton a copy of winupdates.

McAfee Anti-virus's website gives me the impression that there's no way for the average person to send them samples of suspected viruses.

edit: I finally got a copy of that virus that everyone has been getting.

I downloaded the free versions of Norton AV and Kaspersky AV. Norton totally misses it. Kaspersky catches it.

There are two versions of Kaspersky AV on Download.com with free trial periods.
http://www.download.com/3120-20_4-0.html?qt=kaspersky

Last edited by Lord of the Rings; June 25th, 2005 at 07:09 PM.