View Single Post
Old June 23rd, 2005
A reader, not an expert

stief has a spectacular aura about

re icon paintings, if a file is downloaded from a browsed host, discovered through a "What's New" search, the file icon may not update in both seach tabs. This seems to happen when the search result panel was scrolled past the download entry.

Also, scrolling through long lists of a browsed host's files and randomly selecting one or two files from each screenful also seems to be a problem for keeping the icons updated.

speaking of long lists of browsed hosts--they don't seem to be causing the gui locks I saw before. Coincidence? or was that problem fixed too?

for the record, Apple's java in 10.3.9 still runs up the VMem. If I make sure there are no downloads or incomplete files, I can usually flatten the rise and let LW run all night without risking major problems in the morning. (graphs available). I've seen almost no discussion of it on the Apple java dev lists, but I'm losing confidence it is even on their radar any more. I'm beginning to think it's just my set-up.

On the bright side, running as an UP with no downloads keep the thread count at about 30, and the G3 CPU at 20%. So the optimizations have really opened the door for much greater longer uptimes here--thanks.

The bad side is that the downloads are getting easier and quicker, so I'm checking out larger files than before. This means I'll have to get a larger laptop to share the goodies.