View Single Post
Old June 23rd, 2005
CRT

cathodraytube is flying high
Default Windows Rot (bit Rot)

my older computer has slowed down verr badley....the AVs cant find anything nor can ad-awarese , drive is 75 % free space , defragmenting dident do sh!t. everything is fine but its still extremely slowed down . it has done this befor ....and i have to reinstall windoze to restore the speed and power , about every 6 months or so this cycle repeats itself. upon further reaserch and consulting my friends in the one of the ares pc help chatrooms ,iv found out that this is common for windose...google sead that it is when windows just degrades for no reson and gets so shakey it must be reformatted/reinstalled roughley every 6 months or so. google & othor sites sead allsow that windows is the onley OS that dose this, MAC and linux supposedley dont do it. however my friend from the chatroom (he sez hes a network administrator or somthing so im assuming hes right) sead that ALL OSs do this AND that data files eg music, video, text etc will "wear out" and "fade" or othorwize get corrupted and go south over time and with use too along with the OS. i am hopeing my friend/aquantence is wrong about the data file part atleast. this scares the shi* out of me .

has anybody els ever herd of this "bit rot" and has anybody ever seen it happen?? and is there a way to prevent or reverse it?

i can live with reinstalling the os every 6 months but if my large music colection and photos/home movies are doomed...why is it agen that we even bother with computers??
i think this is verry serious so please no smartazz coments mr ____(you know who you are)