View Single Post
Old June 25th, 2005
I_Have_No_Account

I'm not only naive, I'm straight fvcking dull. Yay!

Your first post wasn't very clear to me. I'm not affiliated with LimeWire nor am I a frequent user of LimeWire.

To be honest, while this "feature" makes things easier you can easily cause almost the same effects without it. You can also easily filter those out which is much more difficult when confronted with a real spammer. What's worse is that the results interfere with dynamic querying whether you want them or not.

Regarding your payments: Well, Gnutella is an open network and by using it you'll use resources of people you didn't pay and you'll "donate" resources to people other than LimeWire or their users anyway.

Unlike real scammers and spammers, these sponsored results also seem to be legit and licensed. Real P2P scammers and spammers usually sell pirated contents directly or indirectly.

Claiming that they spam alt-locs isn't fair either. That's just a way to distribute load on their servers but I'd expect that there are better ways (e.g., a DNS record with multiple IP addresses) to achieve the same. It's rather a flaw of LimeWire to rank these higher (or maybe yours as you insist on this sort order) because this completely ignores the fact that any single source may know of further sources through the download mesh.