View Single Post
Old October 28th, 2001
Unregistered

Points well taken. No, I'm no professor of logic, nor did I intend for my remarks to sound as though one can't discuss issues without a PhD in Rhetoric. My examples were not intended to show off anything, but only to clarify that not all writers or artists share the idea that copyrighting is in their best interests. Nor are we "sheep" for our decision to support file-sharing. I was just a bit irked by the abusive tone of certain posts. I have yet to see Mr. "End of Story" really explain himself or cite specific examples of studies that support his ideas.

P.S. Sorry about the registration (or lack thereof). One, I don't usually contribute to forums, and two, I'm still a believer that only in anonymity can speech ever really be free. ;-) Check out www.freenetproject.org. Cool stuff.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dragon
I feel relieved now that a real university professor has lend his authority to these deliberations, particularly since I happen to 'share' his opinions, or at least most of them.
I doubt if anyone, however, is very impressed with his qualifications and publishing experiences; they hardly elevate his remarks to the level of scripture. It's nice to have the ability to spell, punctuate and adhere to accepted conventions of formal grammar accurately, but that doesn't invalidate the thoughts and positions of others who don't 'share' these skills. if you're going to write extended formal essays, Dude, you might consider registration on these forums.
By the way, I can't resist one observation. Statements can't be logical fallacies. A logical fallacy is an invalid argument by which a conclusion (true or false) is reached by violating a formal rule of deduction. I trust you're not a Professor of Logic.