View Single Post
Old July 8th, 2005
Unr3485894

Thumbs down

This is frustrating me too. It's bad enough that spammers have to take pictures, spray their graffiti all over it making it difficult to edit it and restore the original, but to completely erase the image and substitute their own crap completely is over the top. At least if part of the original, "real" image remains, you can see if some file you have elsewhere is the unadulterated original. And with spoofed search results there is no original. But when there is an original, but it gets completely replaced by crap en route ... how do you recover from that?

And it isn't just spam. Sometimes files download supposedly successfully, but don't work -- exactly how good is Limewire's corruption detection anyway? It seems to miss most cases of corrupt files. I've found perfectly working "CORRUPT-foo" files in my incomplete directory, and gotten lots of supposedly successful downloads that were truncated, sometimes to zero bytes. A download that results in a zero length file was ipso facto NOT successful! (Probably, these happen when the en-route-substitution thing the spammers use goes wrong. Perhaps when the legitimate file sharer isn't busy and the file is big enough and Limewire tries to download the file from both sources in the mesh, the real one and the spammer? I could see that producing all kinds of corrupt files and cut-off files, and if LW relies on the client sending a chunk to send the chunk's hash for verification and the spammer lies, LW will not detect anything amiss...)