View Single Post
Old July 10th, 2005
Disciple

Kwazywabbit is flying high
Default A Question of SPAM

You may well have seen them, Files with around 10+ hosts, all with a file length of around 96-108kb... Yes! it's your friend and mine (NOT!) the I-pod Spam.

I was just wondering though, are these results returned from valid users (Who obviously don't pay attention to what they're sharing) or is this the work of a "fisher" (That's Fish and not Phish, a different beast alltogether) - A system or server that trawls the network looking for valid file quiries and returning bogus results, there is probably a very good & proper name for this sort of system, but I think a "fisher" descibes them best!

Anyway, to get to the point (At LAST, they say!)
Is there anyway to find out if these returns come from a valid user? And if not, would it be worth blocking the host(s)?

I've had results where my search string has been "Bounced" straight back - 10+ hosts, with all files in the 100kb range.

But I got a new one today - got the search string bounced back, but the file started "Sponsered Result" ,
This Sucker was about 4000kb in length, I did'nt bother download it though! I'm not that stupid.
So I'm not sure what was in it (If anything!), but it seems there is a new spammer on the block..

SPAM, SPAM, SPAM, SPAM..... But I don't Like Spam!