View Single Post
Old July 12th, 2005
smurfette

Thumbs down Time to lock this thread

Time to lock this thread O Moderator -- it's the end of the line anyway. This just in from the changelog: future released versions of Limewire will nag you for every file you click to download that doesn't have some kind of TPM in it, like a WMV or itunes file does, or some other sort of accompanying license info.

In other words, for all the files you download, save maybe one in a million, and, in particular, for any media file that might actually work in an open source media player.

I saw this mentioned somewhere else and didn't believe they'd sell out and do this to us. Then I checked their feature history page. It's true -- every word of it. They are shoving itunes and windows media down our throats. Linux and FreeBSD users can take a hike, or put up with endless nagging, or download files they can't use -- their choice. Anyone who downloads nearly anything in fact can apparently go hang.

So much for Limewire. It was nice while it lasted.

I wonder how long it will be before the flood of posts hits from pro users demanding their money back? I wavered myself, but now I'm extraordinarily glad I never plunked down hard earned money for what's now clearly about to become horribly crippled to serve the needs of some legal eagle who wouldn't know "usability" if the entire membership of the Nielsen-Norman Group sat on him simultaneously and is far more concerned about avoiding an RIAA lawsuit than he is with the company actually continuing to make so much as a dime.

The only feature request that now seems sensible to make is "Add a button to the Limewire Pro startup screen that says 'Uninstall and mail me a cheque'. And that actually works."

And since I just made it, that may as well be the end of this thread -- it's certainly the end of its usefulness.

So long.