View Single Post
Old July 12th, 2005
Unr3589496

Default Re: Time to lock this thread

Quote:
Originally posted by smurfette
Time to lock this thread O Moderator -- it's the end of the line anyway.
Or maybe not.

Quote:
- Show License column by default in search results and prompt when downloading a file without a license,
offering the option to remember the user's decision.
I guess they changed it. Since they didn't change the version number, my guess is this thing could be turned off all along but they didn't originally say so for some reason. And, not reassured that they couldn't avoid repeated prompts, some people didn't try the beta but did alert other people to the problem they perceived existed.

(I assume if they had tried the beta they'd have found out it could be made to not nag you, so they wouldn't have posted a warning about it. Since they did, they evidently didn't try the beta. As for why they didn't try the beta, they probably didn't dare, because if it couldn't be made to not nag them they'd have to go back to an older version. Going back to an older version, for those who don't know, loses your incomplete downloads and other settings -- perhaps if it didn't, people would have tried the beta despite the changelog suggesting they'd end up nagged into going back to 4.8.1? Also, weren't there earlier betas? You can still download 4.8.1, but if someone had 4.9.0 and wanted to go back to that rather than 4.8.1 after trying 4.9.2 they'd be SOL.)

Let's hope there are no more misunderstandings of this magnitude. I saw a post the other day complaining of a changelog not having been updated -- perhaps this is a symptom of it having been a rush job when it eventually was updated ... but a stitch in time saves nine, and that rush job might have cost more time than it saved in putting out some kind of political brushfire.