View Single Post
Old July 18th, 2005
Jezebel08

Exclamation

Here's a feature request: Limewire doesn't write unmovable files.

Every batch of downloads seems to contain a subset that Explorer won't let me move or organize -- trying to produces a message saying the file name is "too long or invalid", which is nonsense since if the file name was really too long or invalid it couldn't have ended up with that name in the first place -- Limewire would have been unable to save the file with that name in the first place.

Nonetheless, there's something Explorer (but not the underlying filesystem) finds objectionable about a certain percentage of Limewire-originated files -- and no other files. I've never seen this happen with a file created by myself, installed from a disk, or downloaded via anything else -- only with files downloaded via Limewire.

Whatever it is, presumably Limewire is responsible. (Odd file permissions? Something of the sort?) And therefore, presumably a future version can avoid doing it. Files downloaded in the Firefox Web browser never exhibit this problem, so it's clearly possible to make an application that downloads files and avoids leaving them in a state where they can't be moved.

The funny thing is that renaming them in Explorer does make the files movable. It seems there's some weird length limit that applies to moving files but not to creating them in the first place, not that that makes any sense, but since when does anything that came from Microsoft make sense? If that is indeed the case, the solution is just to truncate names at, say, 60 characters -- all the files exhibiting the problem have had names considerably longer than that. (It still begs the question of why the OS would permit the files to be given such a name in the first place but then refuse to allow them to be moved...)