View Single Post
Old November 1st, 2001
Enthusiast

Sorcy is flying high

Quote:
I take it then that I am free to rename the files that I download. I recently noticed that StarWars: Phantom menace had german titles and english vocals. I assume then that I can rename to the file to reflect this without damaging its score or affecting other users. Now I wonder if my name has made it onto the search of if it will still show the original name in the search.
Well, I can't really say how other gnutella clients handle this issue, but Xolox would probably be fine, as long as the search terms still match the file. For example if you had a file named

starwars_phantom_menace(divx).avi

and will rename it into

starwars_phantommenace(english_voice_german_titles ).avi

a search request for "phantom menace" would still hit both files. But a search for "phantom menace divx" would obviously not.

I for one am all for renaming files so that they represent as much info as possible, but that may just be because at the moment I'm trying to get the whole Dragonball Animes and I hate it when they are japanese without subtitles, but nobody says that...

For your question which name will be displayed: that depends which file was found first. Since most files will have the "original" name it will most likely be found first and therefore be displayed and your renamed file will be included in this group by xolox without displaying it explicitely (one can look up those different names in the "resumeinfo.txt" in ones Xolox directory).

Last edited by Sorcy; November 1st, 2001 at 09:52 AM.