View Single Post
Old July 25th, 2005
Valued Member

ukbobboy01 will become famous soon enough
Default What should you use?

u2btrfly

I can't advice you on what is the best "free" anti virus software, I use Symantec's Norton Anti-Virus 2005 which is not free.

Word of advice, do not go to the Symantec website for integrity checks because it will tell that you are vulnerable if you do not have any Symantec (Nortons) products.

Protection Products

Ad-Aware and SpyBot are both anti-spyware and anti-adware products, they are not anti-virus products. Although they may sometimes detect viruses that is not their main or primary function.

However, I use both products along with MS Anti-Spyware, I have found that all three products have slightly different detection databases and so they will each detect some things that the other may miss, e.g. Ad-Aware is good at finding and deleting spyware cookies, MS Anti-Spyware can detect keyloggers and Spybot will detect other spyware apps.

So, it is not a question of using Ad-Aware, Spybot or, in my case, MS Anti-Spyware, use all of them.

PeerGuardian is not an anti-virus software and does not protect you in that way. PG protects your PC like a mini firewall but instead of duplicating your firewall, if you have one, it blocks specific IP addresses of companies (foreign and domestic) that enter your PC when you are using LW.

Here is a small sample (attached text file) of the crap PG has blocked from entering my PC.

Finally, don't get confused between anti-virus, anti-spyware and other protection software, they all do different jobs to keep your PC safe.

You see, the internet (and especially the P2P network) is a minefield of dangers, viruses, spyware, hacking, etc. are only part of the problems you may (some say will) come across and you will need protection for each potential danger.

UK Bob
Attached Files
File Type: txt samplelog.txt (2.8 KB, 197 views)

Last edited by ukbobboy01; July 25th, 2005 at 02:03 AM.