View Single Post
Old August 2nd, 2005
FrostWire Developer

ultracross is flying high

yes, if you read the GPL FAQ, it clearly states:

Quote:
Does the GPL allow me to require that anyone who receives the software must pay me a fee and/or notify me?
No. In fact, a requirement like that would make the program non-free. If people have to pay when they get a copy of a program, or if they have to notify anyone in particular, then the program is not free. See the definition of free software.

The GPL is a free software license, and therefore it permits people to use and even redistribute the software without being required to pay anyone a fee for doing so.

---

If I distribute GPL'd software for a fee, am I required to also make it available to the public without a charge?
No. However, if someone pays your fee and gets a copy, the GPL gives them the freedom to release it to the public, with or without a fee. For example, someone could pay your fee, and then put her copy on a web site for the general public.
please understand the context of the word "free" before making assesments. yes the whole LimeWire project including the pro version is GPL'ed and it also means that YOU can even sell it yourself to anyone or freely give it away to anyone. but you MUST appease access to the source upon request.

[edit] and about the ethics, the payment that limewire asks for is to help finance the whole project. even though it may be ethically wrong to give away a fair bargain program for free, its also not illegal to do per the GPL.[/edit]

Last edited by ultracross; August 2nd, 2005 at 12:45 AM.