View Single Post
Old August 5th, 2005
Valued Member contributor

Grandpa will become famous soon enough

I use LimeWire, Bearshare Lite, WinMX, at this time. I have used and tested most of them. If Limewire slows down your PC WinMX will also. WinMx will give you fewer search results but in my experience is better for rare files. You will get gust as many if not more corrupt files on WinMX. You will still have to defrag your computer. You are not having to defrag your computer because of corrupt files. Anytime you download from P2p networks you are DL from multiple host the files are fragmented at the source most people do not defragment often enough. And from what I understand even if they did as you DL files they would still get fragmented due to the fact you are receiving different parts of the file from different sources.
When WinMX first opens it uses about 3 MB of memory which is very Little compared to LW 30 MB but WinMx has a memory leak and within a few hours it will be using, well I have seen up to 100 MB.
There are allot of things that will slow down your computer allot of people blame LW which just isn't the case. LW is memory intensive but so are allot of other things and if you are running LW with other memory intensive programs such as Windows XP, Norton, SpySweeper and you only have 256MB or 512MB of memory then you are going to slow down your performance. Not to mention any spy ware or virus you might have on your machine.

java.com - Hot Games, Cool Apps

A little common sense goes a long way

Later Grandpa