View Single Post
Old August 14th, 2005
FrostWire Developer

ultracross is flying high

hmm, well to tell you the truth, there are still ALOT of gui bugs lingering around. and the quality type icons still appear to have that bug (i havent seen a changelog or cvs commit that fixes this bug yet).

Quote:
Originally posted by Grandpa
When I do a search for the word LimeWire it shows that I have several different versions of LW via the green tick.
this is not a bug. this is the new update mechanism to offload the bandwidth of new releases. this outsources the limewire program to the gnutella network to offload the bandwith distrubution of LW.

basically, whenever you update your limewire through internally through LW and the gnet, it downloads the installer from the gnet itself so LW can save bandwidth costs (it also helps the develpment cost of distribution if LW LLC ever did get shutdown.)

once you update LW internally, then it automatically shares this file out to other people too. the installer is located in you .NetworkShare directory and is at the same parent directory level as your .limewire pref dir.

i want to stress the fact that sharing these updates are VERY important to the distribution costs of LimeWire. and this update mechanism could keep the development of LW moving forward even if the LW company were ever shutdown. since it relies on the gnet to download the updates, it would be nearly impossible to shutdown development and distribution.

btw, the updates are securely verified over the network and locally during the process to be sure noone tries to sabotage the update mechanism.