View Single Post
Old August 16th, 2005
Guesty McGuesterton

Yeah, I know it's probably not the 'done thing' to bring back threads that have fallen off the front page, but I figure it's either that or make an entirely new thread and risk getting flamed for not making use of the existing topics.

So, consider this another official request for a filesize filter - starting sometime last week, (for me at least) the video search returns nothing but spam results. The search ends before it finds any genuine files, effectively turning the video search function into a big advertisement for whatever the hell they're trying to con people with this time. It's probably more I-Pod bullshit, since that seems to be the flavor of the month right now.

I realize I've said pretty much all of this in another thread, but I thought that also saying it here might get it noticed by the developers a bit more easily. If there's one section of the boards they're more likely to look at than any other, it's this one. At least that's the theory.

A basic 'show files of X megabytes and above' kind of filter would be a good start, and would effectively eliminate all but the most determined of spammers. By determined, I mean those quicktime files that come from multiple T1 sources, are all named differently, and are all just over 8 megabytes in size. I have no idea what they advertise when you play them, since I've never downloaded one.

At this rate, new users will download LimeWire, get hit with several hundred spam results, and then promptly uninstall it - not a good way to encourage people to buy the Pro version, since the only apparent difference between that and the free version is that it finds the spam faster. =/

I really hope a size filter can be introduced soon, since LimeWire is the best P2P program I've ever used - and I've used a LOT of P2P programs over the years. It'd be a shame to see it disappear because of some ****tards trying to make money on the single worst gadget in existence.