View Single Post
Old August 17th, 2005
Novicius

Guesty McGuesterton is flying high

Quote:
Originally posted by rkapsi
Could you clarify it a little? If you have any information about filesize spoofing, I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts, since I've never heard of anything like that being done successfully.

The files you're seeing in the search results are not necessarily actual files. The filename, hash, size, metadata and everything else could be faked and the data is generated on the fly by a function while you're downloading it. This could be random data, nulls or something else that makes somehow sense.

*** I'm stopping at this point to tell you more ***

Keep in mind that not all spammers are interested in earning money with P2P. Certain organizations are trying to bug you until you give up P2P (search for T3 spammers and corrupt files)!
I can confirm that the hundreds of 104.8 kilobyte files are actual files, and they are actually that big - I downloaded one out of curiosity a month or so ago, scanned the hell out of it with everything I could find, then played it. It was nothing more than a few seconds of film featuring a static picture of an iPod, with some offer and the URL of some website on the iPod's screen.

As for the files that have started to appear just recently, I wouldn't know what they are - I haven't downloaded one, and I don't intend to.

I wouldn't mind so much, but I don't even download copyrighted content - just independent, copyright-free material that's freely distributable. =/ Nevertheless, I still use PeerGuardian and a lot of experience gained on other P2P networks to identify which files are fakes. I also check every file I download with a fully updated Norton AV, and run Spybot and Ad-Aware every two days. I may not be immune to malware and corrupt files, but I'm highly resistant.

Last edited by Guesty McGuesterton; August 17th, 2005 at 04:34 PM.