View Single Post
Old August 27th, 2005
Public Enemy #1

banmicrosofttoo is flying high
Default Bypass the annoying firewall (not 100% fool-proof)

Edit: 27 Aug 2005 2042 EST

This should work for most users. DO NOT USE THIS IF YOUR SCHOOL/WORK/ISP STRICTLY FORBIDS YOU TO NOT USE PEER TO PEER, OR IF IT IS ILLEGAL IN YOUR JURISDICTION. YOU RUN THE RISK OF LEGAL LIABILITY.

Download Tor from here.

Quote:
Tor is short for The Onion Routing. Tor is a network of virtual tunnels that allows people and groups to improve their privacy and security on the Internet. It also enables software developers to create new communication tools with built-in privacy features. Tor provides the foundation for a range of applications that allow organizations and individuals to share information over public networks without compromising their privacy.

Individuals can use Tor to keep remote websites from tracking them and their family members. They can also use it to connect to resources such as news sites or instant messaging services that are blocked by their local Internet service providers (ISPs).

After that, you will need to load Privoxy.
download here.

Quote:
Privoxy is a web proxy with advanced filtering capabilities for protecting privacy, modifying web page content, managing cookies, controlling access, and removing ads, banners, pop-ups and other obnoxious Internet junk. Privoxy has a very flexible configuration and can be customized to suit individual needs and tastes.
Privoxy and Tor together keep you anonymous online with web-browsing, plus Privoxy keeps you safe by blocking out a bunch of nasty stuff.

After you load Tor, it will be listening on your computer on port 8118. Launch Limewire, go to Tools -> Options. Click on Advanced, and go to Proxy. Choose HTTP, put localhost in the Proxy box, and 8118 in the Port.

You won't notice a difference in speed, except for when Tor is slow. I downloaded some MP3s to test out the speed, and I noticed no difference. I received a 120kb/s download, and a few 40kb/s downloads. Tor will be affected when large amounts of users use it, or traffic on p2p is large.

LordOfTheRings stated to me in a PM to change the default port from 6346 to something like 80, 22, 8080, 21, etc. because that will bypass someone on Tor blocking 6346 from going through their system.

I tried it.. no luck. No luck either connecting through Tor with default 6346/tcp.

Disclaimer:
USING TOR WILL NOT SPEED UP YOUR INTERNET CONNECTION. THERE IS NO WAY TO SPEED IT UP WITHOUT SPENDING MORE MONEY TO BUY A BETTER CONNECTION, SO DON'T ASK. I KNOW SOMEONE'S GONNA SAY IT.

also

DO NOT USE TOR TO DOWNLOAD ILLEGAL THINGS OR VIOLATE LAWS IN YOUR AREA. ITS A LEGITIMATE APPLICATION, AND LIKE MOST LEGITIMATE APPLICATIONS, IT IS ABUSED BY END-USERS.

Last edited by banmicrosofttoo; August 27th, 2005 at 05:34 PM.