View Single Post
Old September 1st, 2005
Novicius

BY8 is flying high
Default Brushed Metal theme NOT working in LWPro OSX v4.9.x, Tiger 10.4.2

on recomendation from et voilą, I am posting here a problem which still exists, and has had no answers since May (the last May post, from sberlin, indicated it was on his to-do list, but apparently he is no longer working at Limewire...).

(original thread: http://www.gnutellaforums.com/showth...threadid=37479)

I cannot get a Brushed Metal theme to work with LimeWire Pro OS X.
It does not show in the View/ Apply Skins menu. The only OS X theme that shows and works is "Pinstripes Theme (OSX)".

Details:
Lack of Brushed Metal skin function exists for my setup of OS X Tiger 10.4.2, LimeWire Pro v 4.9.x (currently 4.9.28 which i think is the 'latest official' release). I did do the recommended complete 'clean-out' of last version program, preferences and receipt before I installed the 4.9.28.
My OS X 10.4.2 is up-to-date, no Haxies, permissions repaired regularly, w Apple latest Java 1.4.2 (as reported by LW. Apple Profiler lists Java Framework as version 10.0.0).

Note 1 - Brushed Metal skin does not work, even though the Preferences folder / LimeWire / Theme folder does include a file and folder for "brushed_metal_theme_osx". It just refuses to show as an option for actual display in LimeWire Pro itself.

Note 2 - Brushed Metal OS X theme DID work under my LimeWire Pro 4.8.1 with Panther OS X 10.3.7. So something 'broke' either with the LWPro v 4.9.x or with OS X Tiger 10.4.x

Note 3 - I cannot currently try LWPro 4.9.x under Panther, because I have switched to a newer machine, and only have Tiger OS for now).

Note 4 - I even tried to use the LW site instructions to create my own theme, to see if it would simulate brushed metal. I tried this from the generic theme source, and as a copy from the existing pinstripe theme -- but all results always looked like a Windows program motif, not OS X. (The menus display in the application window, tiny text, etc, as the other Windows oriented themes display).
And, my color choices were horrible! -- but that was my inexperience ;^)

Request:
Will Brushed Metal be fixed to work with OS X Tiger (10.4.2)?
Is there some manual work-around procedure I can do to get brushed metal working with my current 4.9.28?
Because I find the Pinstripe theme of alternating off-white and light-gray bars very difficult to look at for long, rather hard on my eyes.

Since my LW Pro term is pretty much expired, I don't think I will be able to wait to download a future FIXED version on my current paid id if it is a long time away.

sorry for the long post...

Thank you.