View Single Post
Old November 13th, 2001
Unregistered

Exclamation Request to remove a feature and add one or two

Would you pleez stop the Linux-version of LimeWire from making preview copies of incomplete files, when trying to preview them? Linux (unlike other OSs) can handle more than one program accessing one file at the same time.

And there is still another request to add a feature. I don't use netscape 4.7 anymore. How about letting the more or less educated linux-user choose his own viewers for different mime-types? You really should consider letting the user modify a lot more options in a handy config-file. For example, mime-types, extensions of files to share, not to scan the id3-tag of every mp3-file (that's why I won't share my 10000 music files - it takes LimeWire about 10 minutes to scan them and the more files it has scanned, the slower it becomes).

One should also be able to choose his standard browser, and to allocate certain amounts of bandwidth for connections (When I'm uploading something, my connections keep failing, if I have many connections, my ups and downs are becoming quite slow, although I'm using dsl).
Do you consider implementing some advanced features like giving a download/upload priority over others, - or an option to introduce a min. speed of a download (or it would be cancelled, for some downloads freeze at 0k/s and even 1k/s is not exactly what I want, when downloading divx-movies). Maybe displaying some pretty useless infos about how far the host I'm receiving a search-result from is away from me (in hops) and whether or not it would accept connections.

Did I forget something? Oh yes, - would you allow bigger gnutella.net files with about 10,000 hosts? You know there are ISPs who seem to be blocking gnutella hostscaches and I used to LimeWire connect to the gnutella-net using gnut, which had such a big hosts-file, when I couldn't connect to any of the hostcaches (which is not the case anymore). Maybe you could even improve the resume-download feature by completely grouping the search-results according to file size and resuming any file, that would have the same file size when complete? Of all my mp3s I don't think I have two with exactly the same file size and even if so, - there could be a 'to resume or not to resume' dialog/option - could it not?

Well I'm sure I can still think of some features to bother you with... How about doing automatically new searches for a file when the download fails? Sometimes LimeWire keeps running for days unattended and the network's available resources change a lot during that time. And how about reading the search results passing through my servant and comparing them to my own active searches. I'd also like to have an automatically-clear-inactive-downloads-option.

Of course swarming would be a great feature, but I guess you already read that. Perhaps you could implement a sub routine to cook tea.

If I have any further ideas I promise I won't hesitate to tell you over and over again.