View Single Post
Old September 5th, 2005
Valued Member

ukbobboy01 will become famous soon enough
Default Hi-Jacked

Hi Cutie

You asked:
Quote:
I paid with my debit card, can I get the money back?
Yes, you should be able to get your money back because

a) Most banks, like credit cards, have an anti-fraud or internet fraud scheme.

b) You were hi-jacked away from where you were going, i.e. LimeWire, and sent to a scam site (hi-jacking is nothing new on the internet, that is why you should always have protective apps on your PC).

Explain this to your bank and you should get your money back.
Quote:
How can they hijack people form the limwire page
Unfortunately, it has been done before and probably will be done again. I believe it can be done if a bogus BHO (Browser Helper Object) is planted in your Internet Explorer, which can be done by secretly downloading it while your surfing the web.
There are also other ways to hi-jack your browser, such as changing your PCs "Hosts" file, downloading Trojans, adding to your registry, etc. but they all require something to be downloaded to your PC, with or without your knowledge. That's why it so important to have a firewall and anti-virus app on your PC.
Quote:
Is there anything I can do now?
Yes, you should either get a new browser, like Firefox which most members of this forum recommend or get some help to go through your hard disk and get rid of the malware you picked up while surfing. Failing that, reformat and reinstall everything on your hard disk..
Quote:
Isn't there anything Limewire can do to stop this?
Apart from publicising this problem, sadly no, the LW Org has no authority to police the internet all it can do, via this forum, is warn people of the dangers.

UK Bob

PS. One other thing, your hi-jacking took place inside your PC, i.e. a secret program was triggered to take you to the scam site. Which is why I advised you to reformat your HD, and also means that you must protect yourself and your PC from these secret downloads.

Last edited by ukbobboy01; September 5th, 2005 at 10:10 AM.