View Single Post
Old November 13th, 2001
Gnutella Veteran

SRL is flying high
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Limewire Spyware!

Quote:
Originally posted by CycloCide

That's not what I meant. I meant what do you expect them to do to generate revenue?

Hmmm, It's funny but you know in the olden days companies usually had to figure this out *before* people would hand them money. The flaw was thinking VC was ever a substitute for actual revenue. Despite my respect for the Lime developers, substituting one failed revenue model for another doesn't seem like a plan for success either.

What I think will *really* be interesting is what happens once they figure out that user-hostile features and open source go together about as well as Hitler at a rabbi convention. Expect to see forked version with the adware removed shortly after every new release. Likewise, from what I understand the ads are also only on the Win32 version too. Java being what it is, I wonder how hard it would be to get one of the non-windows distributions to work.

Cydoor has a long spyware history. Anyone using it should provide good evidence to the contrary if they expect anyone to believe them (like an independent review of all Cydoor code). Of course, I won't hold my breath for Cydoor allowing that! It's interesting to see how much more lax a developer's definition of "spyware" becomes once they start using the stuff. ;-)