View Single Post
Old November 14th, 2001
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Moak

About traffic: Ping and pongs are not causing a high gnutella backbone traffic, AFAIK it's the queries and hits that cause it (see gnutella protocoll and traffic statistics). A super peer concept together with a search-cache (described in my text, linked above) could reduce this traffic (queries/hits and also ping/pongs).
Yes, you're probably right about this. Caching queries could help a lot. This way the Gnutella client will send searches to other peers only after the entries on the cache being queried by a peer expire.

However when I connect from home with modem to Gnutella, most of the bandwith is used even I'm not not downloading/uploading, making almost impossible to use Gnutella with modem; I'm sharing files but I don't think anyone will be able to download much at 2 Kb/s or less... With ADSL is different, thought.

Quote:
About swarming: It's important to make use of modem user. Why? Right now their bandwith is nearly completely wasted and they are often "forced" to be freeloader.
As I said, swarming is a good thing, no question about that. My point was that there are more important things to do before.

Quote:
As a second point, swarming will spread often requested files over the network.
[...]
3. Swarming technology = make use of the high amout of wasted bandwith + will spread often requested files + balance load + less "busy" servants (more available files)
Here I don't agree if you are talking about caching most requested files. If this is what you say, think that at some time your peer will see 20 GB or more; it is a waste of bandwidth to download a file from other peer just to have a part of it in your cache that seldom will be used. But I'm not sure that this is what you mean here.