View Single Post
Old September 11th, 2005
Valued Member contributor

Grandpa will become famous soon enough
Default Comparison LimeWire and BearShare Lite

I have read in a few post that BS/Lite does not contain spyware and since it had been a while since I tested it I thought I would check it out.

Well the results were as follows I downloaded and installed BS/Lite from presumably the official site. I ran both BS/Lite and LW at the same time I figured it was a good time to test set up different folders for both to DL in both used the same folder for sharing thus the same files available. Newest version of both LW4.9.28 at the time.

Search Results

Both had pretty much the same search results for the same file names at times LW had more other times BS had more but both were pretty much equal.

Download Results

Once again they were pretty much equal here I did DL of 10 files at a time both simultaneously limited DL bandwidth equally between the 2. Some files BS completed first some LW did these files being of same name an size and started approximately at the same time. Some of the files LW found more sources others BS found more about 50/50 here. I must say that LW did complete the total group's of files before BS in all cases about 25% faster.

Upload Results

Here I found BS to kick LW butt it appeared that all the files in my library were available for upload in the 12 hrs I ran the test all files had UL in BS. While in LW only 7 files got UL I have wrote about this problem before but no one has ever been able to explain it to me. They always say that maybe no one wants the other files just proved that one wrong. But I am currently running 4.9.29 and it appears that this issue is not as bad in this version of LW 100 of 564 files available have activity in the uploads column that is a vast improvement over 7 with prior versions. So this may no longer be an issue.

User Interface

Here in my opinion LW kicks BS butt LW to me is allot easier to set up and use there is a better display of information on the LW screen and simpler to use. It is also easier to configure . But this is just my personal opinion and preference

In my opinion LimeWire is the better of the 2

I did have screen shots of all the test but unfortunately after I finished the test and re booted my computer Norton came up with a warning that it had been corrupted. I then did a boot time scan with Avast and guess what it had Win 32: Trojano-324 in C:/Program Files/Common Files/qbr qendg/qendb/ppuelqt.exe most likely Gain spyware Avast could not repair it so I told Avast to delete it dumb move I should have manually removed it. Screwed up XP Pro big time. I then decided to re format my hard drive and start all over.

Now some may say I downloaded it from the p2p net while I was testing. Not likely since I did not open any of the files I downloaded and they were all MP3 files. It is my firm belief it came from BearShare Lite . I will re test next week to make sure. But I do not have the time to do it right now.

Any way the results are as I found them and yes I am partial to LimeWire in my opinion it is the best out there. I did reproduce some or the problems that people are currently posting. None of which were LimeWires fault. Will Post that at a latter time have to hit the road right now have a long drive to head back to work my weekend is over.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?boa...;threadid=8411

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?PHP...10326.msg87661

If anyone has a link to BearShare Lite that they know to be spyware free please post it here so I can use it in my next test

java.com - Hot Games, Cool Apps

A little common sense goes a long way

Later Grandpa

Last edited by Grandpa; September 11th, 2005 at 03:22 PM.