View Single Post
Old September 15th, 2005
Novicius

traynman is flying high
Default another "help it's slow" thread

Hey guys,

As I'm sure you've established, I'm new to this forum. I have a technical question though that I was hoping someone could answer. And I did search before I asked so...

First the technical aspect before the problem though:
Dell Inspiron 9300 w/ 512 RAM and an Intel Centrino processor at 1.7 GHz. Windows XP Pro SP2. (This is a laptop) I'm connected through my colleges T3 line, so internet connection speed is absolutely no problem.

Now the problem:
I can't download ANYTHING from limewire at a speed greater than 2 kb/sec. Just to make sure my version wasn't bad, I uninstalled and re-installed the program. It's the free version, BTW. I went into just about every option available to me. The download max bandwidth is set at unlimited. Pretty much all files I try to download are 4 star rating, from people w/ connections rated at T3 or higher. I think I've explored just about every option available to me. I've disabled both firewalls on my comp (windows and McAffe) and enabled UPnP. What I haven't tried is that port forwarding thing. I don't quite understand what I need to do.

There has only been one exception to my problem. ONCE I d/led a file from someone rated at an ethernet connection and was able to get the 5mb song file in less than 15 secs (speeds exceeding 350 kb/sec.). I've also noticed that this problem carries over into other programs as well. Bit Torrent REFUSES to go past 4 kb/sec.

Thanks for taking the time to read this long post, and thanks in advanced to anyone who responds!