Thread: Reset (etc)
View Single Post
Old November 18th, 2001
Novicius

netdrakh is flying high
Unhappy Reset (etc)

I like some of the characteristics which XoloX has:
* Recurrent searching: looks again regularly. You don't have to keep re-entering your searches!
* Will attempt to finish the incomplete downloads left over from the previous session.
* The multiple-source download feature is nice; I have yet to want something found in more than one place...
* That portion of the Gnutella network which XoloX seems to access appears to be richer in the things which I am currently looking for.

There are a few things which it would be nice to have:
* The address at which each result is found, so those of us with problems (see below) can try again with something else.
* A progress indicator for the uploads so we can tell how they are going.
* Some tweak to the network or XoloX so more people can find things when XoloX is providing the service. BearShare and LimeWire literally "give away the store"; XoloX shows uploads at about 1/8th to 1/10th their rates....

There are some things which render XoloX a Very Bad Thing:
* When XoloX is rebuilding the Files Shared list, the CPU usage goes to 100% (no HD access), and one had better not be doing anything which ought not be interrupted (such as recording audio)! My CPU is presently a 900 MHz AMD, so no putdowns, please! This rebuilding occurs regularly: every 10 minutes, if I recall.
* The famous Access Violation (randomly, after an extended period of operation).
* On my machine, after about a day and a half, it seems to prompt Win98SE to do a total Reset. I will be sitting here, watching XoloX send off one or two small files, and *BLIP* ...lookee, Mama: that's the first screen you see when you turn on the machine! Norton's Crashguard never even twitches. It did this Reset between 5AM and Noon (MT), and again 30 minutes after I got things running properly. Further: more than once in the process of restarting after one of these Resets, I have seen a BSOD (Fatal error OE...) before the desktop even loads. I had to push Reset and start over yet again. Only XoloX has created these exceptional conditions.

I much prefer the stability which LimeWire has exhibited, for which one trades some occasional pixel debris (and some apps are best left idle, lest one get a GDI failure)!
Now, if there were a way to give LimeWire the hostlist from XoloX, and persuade it to repeat searches automatically....
OR get XoloX fixed, so it runs without exacerbating MS Windows' famous instability!!

So list me under the "Dammit...!" heading!