Thread: Adverts
View Single Post
Old November 18th, 2001
anti-bearshare

Default ok first of all.

I'm a hardcore LimeWire fan, hence my name for one thing. I didnt like the adversiting too much either when I first heard about it. But if you think about it LimeWire, Inc. is trying to make a public decentralized P2P network. Which means P2P networks like morpheus is pretty much funded by a company, MusicCity has set up connections to be supernodes which means they can/could be sued like Napster and maybe end of losing. Then the network would be no more. With the Gnutella network there is no central server to take down. It would be virtually impossible to take down. I've been using LimeWire for the past year. I've seen tons of improvements to the gnutella network with the usage of LimeWire gnutella servants. The reason it doesnt have alot of "features" or the same "features" as some of ther P2P network clients have is b/c they're like 10+ different gnutella clients that use the network. They're trying to introduce new technologies without harming the current network structure. Thats why they release clients with just a few features over a period of time. I mean you wouldnt want to have like 100+ features of a new release and then 10,000+ downloads of then clients b/c its pretty much a 100% chance it would mess up the whole gnutella network leaving everyone in the dark (I mean a few LimeWire releases have had connections problems). First they have to improve the structure (stability....connections), querying and routing (ping, pong, and searching), then they can focus on new technologies such as swarmed downloading and etc. So in time....gnutella is going to be the fastest and biggest P2P ever and there would be no way of taking it down. Another thing that is cool is that LimeWire, Inc is offering all of this for free. Which means I would like them to continue the LimeWire project and make more improvements to the gnutella network. So I dont mind having a small ad at the bottom of my screen. Actually I dont even notice it. You can also donate money if you like. Also its not spy-ware, its just sending data back and forth to the ad server to retrieve the different ad images. I believe LimeWire when they say they dont use spy-ware. I mean if you dont like, use some other client :x. About the network statistics, in the older versions if you used a TTL higher than 7 it would have interconnections to the same host, in which host X might be 6 hops away and also 9 hops away. Meaning you getting dup stats and twice more traffic than you really need. But as far as LimeWire, Inc taking away the statistic information they didnt. Go to Options > Statistics ...its that simple. Just remember 1000MB = ~1GB, 100,000 = ~100GB, and 1,000,000 = ~1TB, it shouldnt get higher than that unless you have some type of T3+ connection. Well I hope this has cleared some issuses that have been out in the open. Later.