View Single Post
Old September 29th, 2005
Valued Member

ukbobboy01 will become famous soon enough
Default Monitoring the Internet

Mklessex

I am guessing that you must be naive to want internet/P2P monitoring, just think about this for a moment:

1) They monitor the internet in China, everything (data, e-mails, pictures, etc.) on their system passes through a central point, it is then stored and kept for Government inspection. Do you honestly want something like that?

Monitoring and controlling information is used by totalitarian governments as a tool to keep the population under strict control.

2) The British Government, via the EC, is trying to introduce a system, similar to the Chinese, where every piece of data that passes through an ISP is recorded and kept for a year. Again, it is kept for a government organisation or official to inspect as and when they want to. Do you really want some faceless bureaucrat reading all your e-mails and deciding whether you, a friend or a relative are criminals based on the fact that something derogatory may have been written about the government of the day?

What you are suggesting will surely lead down the slippery slope to our governments monitoring everything on the internet, and they will not go after scammers, criminals or perverts they (our democratic governments) will use their new found controls as a means of monitoring and censorship.

I personally would rather download something objectionable that I can delete later than have the government monitor and read my e-mails.

UK Bob