View Single Post
Old November 18th, 2001
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by The Seeker
A quick question before I respond to the following statement... Why are you searching for and downloading something that is on your download list already? Are you at least using different search terms than you used the first time?
Nope - because people go online and disconnect all the time, frequently I want a file where there is only a few copies available (in total) with different filenames, every time I seach I'll come up with a renamed version of the same file and add it to my list. The files complete over the course of a fortnight or so (as the host and myself are rarely connected for the same period), often the one that only had 12% complete will finish first and I delete the other ones, which are often nearly complete.

Because I'm going for files that are usually very new I often feel like I'm wasting connections to the hosts for doing this - other people could be getting the file in the time I'm wasting with my half dozen partially completed files.

Quote:
I think that eventually this will be integrated back into the program, but for now you have to pay attention to what you are downloading to avoid duplication and wasted bandwidth.
As I said, I do it deliberately; I don't mind wasting the bandwidth as it's really rare that 2 differently named copies are on at the same time.

Is there any way I can unite the filenames (if I got them under multiple searchs at different times) in the log file?