View Single Post
Old October 9th, 2005
Disciple

ag101 is flying high

Hey Grandpa/Panzer,

I have a connection with a PPPoE service as well - with a router/switch in a secured box placed on the top of my building. Every apartment's ethernet cable line is branched from this box.

I called up my ISP - they say they do not touch ports above Port# 2000. Thus GNUtella being 43xx is untouched by them. They also said they do not use any bandwidth limiters or bandwidth shapers to shape traffic on these ports or any ports - they only use of limiters was to limit speeds to suibscribers as per their subscription.

But they also said that service to the end users in the city was distributed/managed/controlled by the city's cable operators. And that my subscription/service was managed/controlled by them. They said that though they do not limit/shape bandwith, certain cable operators are at the discretion to control and manage their own traffic by using limiters or shapers - or by controlling Ports. My cable operator - the one who has put the router on my building top has also said that they do not block any ports - but did mention that Kazaa is limited during the daytime and is completely opened in the nights. Kazaa however used a different port than GNUtella - and logically therefore, GNUtella should be coming thru.

Also, test for 6346 give me a Your test worked! answer.

So now we're wondering where could the problem possible lie. Something in that router perhaps?

Like Panzer, I also noticed that my Listening port is not 4346 - but is 34979 (I swear it was 11xxx the last time I checked).

Question at this point: Does the listening port HAVE TO BE set at 4346? Can't it be something else?

Panzer, I'd like you to try the listening port at 34979. If that doesn't work, then have you tried it at 6346 itsef? I dont know how changing a listening port can do the trick - but perhaps it's worth a shot!

Try it and let us know.
As for me, I'm still stuck with my problems....

Regards, AG
ag101