View Single Post
Old October 10th, 2005
Apprentice

umpiredice is flying high

I'm not entirely sure if this is the same problem everybody else is reporting, but like most others, for me this problem has only started occurring since I upgraded to 4.9.30 and 4.9.33. I have:

LimeWire Pro 4.9.33
Microsoft Windows 98 (yeah, I know, I know ...)
A truly ancient Pentium II 350MHz CPU (yeah, I know, I know ...)
128MB RAM
Two hard drives, 6.4GB and 120GB (free space 450MB and 102GB respectively); music is saved to the second drive
Terayon cable modem
Broadband connection via Shaw Cable
No firewall
No shared connections (connecting from home)
My test worked, but was very slow, over a minute
Got true for the true/false test
Have not yet tried deleting my preferences
I am a moderately experienced LimeWire user.

The problem I am experiencing is that LimeWire starts, and once the screen appears, the connection quality logo goes all the way up to "Turbo Charged Connection". However, my searches return few or no results, my monitor shows no uploads at all, and when I look at the "Connections" tab, I find that all five of my connections have only been active for five to twenty seconds, and they are being dropped constantly. It is very rare for any one connection to stay up for more than a minute, and LimeWire is CONSTANTLY trying to make new connections.

Now, I know my computer is very old, but it still WORKS, and I don't have a couple of thousand spare dollars to buy a new one (although I'm working on that!). However, before upgrading to 4.9.30/33, I had LimeWire Pro 4.8.1, and it never had a problem like this. Indeed, the only reason I upgraded was to get rid of that annoying "There's a newer version" message.

1. Is it my computer? Is LimeWire 4.9.x incompatible with Pentium II's or Windows 98?
2. Is it something I've done or failed to do?
3. Is anyone else experiencing the same problem - it starts, but the connection is tenuous at best? What did you do?

Thanks to all.