View Single Post
Old October 25th, 2005
Novicius

amyturtle is flying high
Lightbulb HOW TO FIX: problems with new versions of OSX / firewall / launch

For those who are struggling with the minefield of solutions to various start up problems with new versions of OSX & LimeWire I was at my wits end when I finally tried absolutely every solution I could find and this worked for me:

1. Make sure you have the latest verion of Java. It's not as easy as it sounds to locate as there are so many updates and add-ons about so use this link:

http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...2release2.html

2. Make sure you have your firewall ON (see system preferences>sharing). where it says allow, go to NEW. Gnuttella WONT be in the drop down list on new Macs so from the drop down select other, and next to TCP & UDP numbers put 6346 and description, LimeWire.

3. Then, and this is the one that stumped me, restart in safe mode and repair permissions. (To do this hold down the SHIFT key immediately after the computer restarts & keep held down until you see the apple icon and the whirling cog. Then let go shift and you will get a password request for safe mode. Once up and running on the title bar click Go>Utilities>Disk Utility and on the first aid tab click 'Repair Permissions'. Then restart your computer.

MY COMPUTER WAS 2 HOURS OLD WHEN I TRIED AND FAILED TO DOWNLOAD THE NEW VERSION OF LimeWire AND I THOUGHT THERE WAS NO WAY THIS COULD BE MY PROBLEM BUT IT WORKED.

I'm not taking credit for the solution which I got from Lord Of The Rings post, it was just really hard to find so I'm hoping this will help people.

Good Luck

Amy G
x