Thread: Limwire Is Crap
View Single Post
Old October 26th, 2005
LimeWire is International

verdyp is flying high

To be honest, I think that Limewire does not fully respect the GPL as well. The GPL says that the software must also give access to the copy of the licence and to the copyright notices within its "about" functionality.

Several months ago I submitted a change for the About box in Limewire, so that it would contain selectors to display an additional "Credits" page and a "Licence" page. This change was reverted, but not justified.

I accept the fact that the Licence page is not required in the software made by LimeWire LLC itself because it is the copyright holder and LimeWire can choose to apply any licence it wishes, but this is problematic for those parts of the software that were made by other people and that are bundled in LimeWire.

The relevant part of the GPL is the "How to apply the GPL to your software" section which exposes some ways that are considered sufficient to make the distribution conforming with the licence under which the software is published.

For translations, there is a problem: there are many contributors, but it is not clear which licence they apply to their work. But for now, no translator has requested it, and then the copyright notice that is displayed on the Limewire.org website where the translation mailing list address is shown becomes the default copyright: translations sent to the list are donated to LimeWire LLC, under the terms of the GPL.

That's why I think it is important to give an access to the GPL in the Limewire software itself, and to include a credits page (the list of all past translators is kept to allow such references, and there's a page on the Limewire.org web site where they are available, unless those translators said they wanted to remain anonymous or listed only though a pseudonym).

However another way to conform the software with the GPL is to include those information in the installer rather than in the installed software, because it is a required step before using the software:by pressing OK to install the software, the user explicitly agrees with the terms of the displayed licence.