View Single Post
Old October 28th, 2005
Beware of the Lime

DarkSorrow is flying high
Default New Gnutella Client... Cabos

I just downloaded Cabos, it only 4.5MB. It said it based on LimeWire and Acquisition client. and it use Java. One thing interesting things about Cabos, i noticed many java-based client tend to use Java.exe, but when it come to Cabos, it load two .exe: Java and Cabos. so i have to allow network for both of them. no big deals

Before i went deep with Cabos, i installed Cabos pevious version and it didnt load correctly, but now it work perfectly without a problem.

Now, back to new Cabos. installed fast. So i open up Cabos, it really load up quick, just take .5 sec to load the whole thing. My first impression about Cabos that it use Acquisition skin, a mac style skin. All the user interface is very simple. So telling the firewall to allow java and cabos to access the internet. no problem. connect to hosts really fast, just take 2 sec to get the hosts. Remember Cabos is very very basic client, based on LimeWire and Acquisition. each Menu i view tend to be cluttered, but not that bad. I took a look at it's perference. well, it very simple and basic, it have iTune, Sharing, Download, Network, General and Appearance. the perference ui is very simple and basic also. you click on the Seach box to find the file you want and it will appear on a search list. One thing i like about it is it will show how many result in this niffy circle with number in it. Everytime you add a new search, those search will be saved, after you shutdown and load it again, the keyword you put in search box will appear on the search list. so you dont have to worry about forgetting the name of the keyword. only way to get them off is to remove it from queries. Very basic download and uploads, they show the number next to the their name.

here the pro and cons list

PROS
  • Simple UI
  • Allow you to connect to which host (which country host)
  • Simple perference
  • Save keyword in search list after shutdown
  • based on LimeWire and Acquisition
  • Browse host
  • Quick connection to host after startup Cabos
  • Option to remove all keyword from queries at once
  • Nice filter system

CONS
  • Bugs with download/upload/network window after you downloaded something
  • no player (HECK! we dont need a builtin player)
  • No direct chat (do we need this feature?)
  • Filter use slider, not number

Cabos is nice and niffy to have. i like Cabos. very simple and nice UI. To get Cabos, just go to this site, Cabos - The Simple File Sharing Program

I like to add that Cabos use Limewire 4.9.28 core