View Single Post
Old October 28th, 2005
Enthusiast

ldeanjames is flying high

Here I am, a day late and a dollar short. I finally had to sleep. What a waste of good computer time! Except when I have great adventure dreams...

Hopper, you're so right about referring my downloads to files instead of...other things. I got to thinking about that and was going to ask in my next reply. You must be psychic, answering my question before it's written. I just hope I haven't already blown it, because Big Brother has the internet to watch with now.
It bothers me that I can't download a file just for my own pleasure. There's absolutely no money involved and the whole world has been doing it since the invention of the VCR. Oh, and I'm going to copy that link and visit the site. The words Free Downloads are music to my ears. I love thrift shops, too....

As for the issue that started this thread, if I'd had a clue, I would never have upgraded to 30. Too late now, since the older versions of LW don't seem to be available at the site. I just keep grabbing the latest upgrade in hopes that the disconnect/go-to-sleep issues will be fixed. The Ultrapeers on my connections screen seem to have every version of LW from the beginning of time, and very few of them have 4.9.30, 33 or 37. Or are on Pro.

Mine disconnected on me twice today, while it was supposedly waking up. I wonder what happens to the folks uploading a large file of mine? Can anyone tell me: am I just one of the "downloading from 10 hosts?" If so, then even if they lose my connection, they don't lose the upload. Right?

I'm really disturbed by what's happening to GCDEF and sambucabird. That just isn't right, to have your modem shut completely down, even worse to lose your file. Have you run a search on the system to see if it's stored somewhere, like in a temp folder or something? It isn't even in your incomplete folder? I think I'd do the complete wipe of the program, reg keys and all, and reinstall.

As for confusing you with jargon, Sam, remind me what it was you were asking about. I've been walking non-computer people through soft and hardware troubleshooting for nearly 5 years, so I could interpret someone else's steps for you. I'm a low-intermediate computer geek. (The more I learn, the more I realize I don't know.) As for wiping LW off your system and reinstalling it, the reg keys I mentioned earlier are the registration keys and they basically hold your whole system together. I would find a computer geek friend to delete the keys for me, just to make certain I didn't trash everything with one wrong click.

I'm going to check out some stuff I downloaded last night--six big files in one night, but my connection was good, and I was on the computer to keep LW from going to sleep. Here's hoping the files are named correctly, not in a furen language, and weren't created from the back seat of a theatre.

Happy 'pewting, everyone.