View Single Post
Old November 1st, 2005
Valued Member

ukbobboy01 will become famous soon enough
Default Vanishing Scam site

NINA70

Since it is obvious that you were the victim of a fraud I would suggest that you forget about contacting the scam site and go directly to your bank or credit card company.

Once you explain that you have been swindled and that you have tried to contact the company (I really mean "crooks") that took your money your bank/CC should be able to issue you with a refund.

You said:
Quote:
I have retraced my steps and the way they got onto my computer was by me going onto the official Limewire site, pressing the 'get it now' button. A small grey screen (surely not the correct technical term!) immediately comes up asking if I want to save or run the download. This is from www9.limewire.com (and has exe in the end, which I now realise is a bad omen!). This still happens on my computer now, despite having deleted all files, cookies etc... that I can find. When you put in www9.limewire.com you get a to a site saying 'Your test has worked'! There seems to be no way to avoid this, and that is how I think I was scammed.
I have the feeling that your PC was hi-jacked, I have tried to retrace your steps by going to the LW site here:

http://www.limewire.com/english/content/home.shtml

and pressing the big red “Get It Now” button. I then go onto the normal LW download screen here:

http://www.limewire.com/english/content/download.shtml

while you end up elsewhere.

If your PC was hi-jacked then this is further evidence to give to your bank/CC as the case for getting your money back. You were going to a legitimate site but got hi-jacked away to a scam site.

It seems that "hi-jacking" is becoming more prevalent because you are not the first in this forum to say you were going to the LW site and then were taken to somewhere else.

PCs can get “hi-jacked” if you surf the web without adequate protection, i.e. such as a firewall (anti-virus apps on their own cannot protect your PC from being hi-jacked). While surfing, a hidden download is initiated which can either change crucial settings in your PC, e.g. the registry. Once done your PC is now, effectively, in the control of the miscreant that initiated the "download" and as more and more "jackings" are to do with "fraud" you will need expert help to get your machine clean again.

Good Luck

UK Bob

Last edited by ukbobboy01; November 1st, 2005 at 05:13 AM.