View Single Post
Old November 2nd, 2005
Enthusiast

ldeanjames is flying high

Life is just full of disappointments, isn't it? My latest was finding out the 3 year parts and labor service plan with Best Buy that I got for this computer doesn't in any way cover software. Not even Windows. I'll run the CClean, Hopper, and hope for the best, but this runs so deep, it may only be fixed by a complete wipe of Windows. Saving my files will cost more than the wipe and reinstall of Windows XP. Sigh. Best Buy is open till 10 tonight, so I'll take it in about 9:30. It'll be like leaving an arm or a leg with the Geek Squad.
At work the IT people ghost everyone's systems, copying whole Window's installs with every program the techs need to do their job. I just worry that if I have Window's reinstalled, then put all my stuff back on it, if this is a virus, I'll be right back where I started.
Hopper, I had already uninstalled Norton and installed Zone Alarm, when I last wrote. The software has a lot of people praising it to the heavens. I didn't get System Works when I got Norton Internet Security w/antivirus 2005. I had it on my 98 SE computer and it trashed it. I'd had no trouble whatsoever until I ran Norton's defrag. After that poor old 98 wanted to scan disk at every boot up, and kept coming up in safe mode. I ended up getting another harddrive, since the old one now had bad sectors all over the place. It probably wasn't Norton's fault, but you know who hard it is not to associate bad experiences with what came just before.
But the price shouldn't be too bad and I'll be so glad to have a system that works again. Of course, I'm still drooling all over the new computers. There's one that cost about the same as this one, $599 (after $600 in rebates, and I got every cent back) which has a gig of DDRAM, 200 gig harddrive, and 3600 AMD processor. Mine is 2600. It also comes with the new Windows Media Center. I just cannot justify buying one now, but oh how it tempts me.
imhsn, you're getting all the issues now that we've been fighting. I forgot to tell you that I wrote the LW Pro support about a month ago now and they never responded. That doesn't mean they won't respond to your queries, of course, but I don't want you to get your hopes too high. I had Pro from the beginning and it ran wonderfully until I upgraded to 30. But I've noticed LW is sitting at "excellent" connection when I leave the computer for a while, which isn't so bad. What was bad today was that it had disconnected while out I running errands. I've been trying to get a copy of a rather large file now for three days and it's just now hit 73%. I may lose all that if Best Buy has to get drastic.
Well, I need to finish packing for my trip and I want to check out the two links Hopper sent me, too. So I'll say goodnight from Santa Maria and wish you all a great week and an even better weekend. Talk to you next Monday, if my computer is back from the shop by then.