View Single Post
Old November 25th, 2001
Unregistered

Default Re: Thanks!

Quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
Of course, after trying this out for a bit, I'm afraid I'll be going back to Gnotella or Xolox. Didn't get many hits at all, even after configuring extra servers, firewall-passthrough, etc. I get at least triple the amount of hits on a keyword in Gnotella, Xolox is about the same. Downloads in LimeWire seem to automatically stop after about 3 tries, Gnotella will keep banging away on its queue all day.
And people wonder why their network connection is so slow. Its because of things like this. Everything must be done in an efficient way not brute forcing until it works or STOPS to work!

Quote:

What makes one client work differently/better than any other? Aren't they all using the same protocol and network?
Yes, but different clients implement technologies (ways of searching, querying and routing). Just because you make a client that has a TTL set to 20 (you get interconnected this way, I've noticed this starts to happen after the 8th hop, that host X can be the 9th hop and also the 3rd hop away from you. Meaning you get twice the traffic needed to transfer throughout the hosts you're connected to. Example: host X searches for "Z" you'll get 2 queries of "Z" when you really need only one.). Or they have continuous searches throughout the day after a specific interval (like every 10 mins it searches for the same thing over and over until something is found.) Well most of the time you're pretty much connected to the same area/group of hosts. So this only causes more um-needed traffic on the network. Then last swarmed downloading, even though LimeWire is going to release a client with this very shortly. But I'm sure they do it in a more efficient way than others. This is where you download from an X amount of hosts the same file for faster downloading time. Which is good, but we need to implement SuperNodes and better query/routing technologies. Which LimeWire is doing as we speak. The following post will end my thought.

Also read my other post: http://www.gnutellaforums.com/showth...?threadid=5592

Its the third one down from the top.