View Single Post
Old November 16th, 2005
Riding a Pale Horse and Wielding THE Sword of the Forum

Peerless is a jewel in the rough

first...you made the mistake of leaving residual thermal paste...you should have carefully cleaned it off, then applied new paste...just a smidgen is needed..too much is as bad as too little...the procedure for applying the paste is as follows: apply a dab to the middle of the cpu, and spread it carefully around so that is covers the entire chip...enough so that it is evenly applied with no transparency visible...I just used a bit of a cardboard matchbook to do the spreading..then install the heatsink...now, if for some reason you have to pull the heatsink back of, you may very well have compromised the integrity of it all, which will result in higher temps...

second..that's not exactly the worlds greatest heatsink..prolly no better (perhaps worse than...) the stock Intel one...

I would recommend the following heatsink, if it will fit in your box without any conflict with adjacent hardware (like the PSU or capacitors on the MoBo): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835118112

I'm using the all copper version, but research I did after the purchase indicates it really doesn't offer that much more performance the the alcu version which I linked to above...

as noted, my temps max out @ ~40C

So Long and Thanks for All the Files

Beware of the big 3 insurance companies in Texas! Read your policies carefully (maybe you'll need a lawyer) Allstate, Farmers & State Farm are overextended and their 'coverage' is worthless...a true waste of your money Read This